You are here

When should I declare a major?

Students are required to complete at least one major to graduate which are listed in the catalog and can be accessed at

While students are able to change their declared major, it is strongly recommended to declare one’s major at the beginning of the student’s academic journey. This is suggested due to the following reasons:

  1. To avoid adding extra time as well as expense to the student’s education.
  2. To avoid postponing as well as extending the time a student is required to complete their foundation classes. Students are required to take foundational classes and in turn, students must complete these foundational classes before moving into more advanced classes.
  3. Once a student begins moving into more advanced classes, some of these classes may begin in the fall but not in the spring, or vice-versa. In turn, this could potentially extend the graduation timeline beyond 4 years.

If you need further assistance choosing a major, please feel free to meet with our Academic Advisor in the Academic Success Center in Lee Hall, room 115 or (337) 482-6818 or


**Please note:  If you are changing your major to Nursing or University College (General Studies), you must go to that department to do so.

      Nursing is in Wharton Hall room 254 and University College is in DeClouet Hall room 104.