You are here

Transfer FAQs

How do I transfer to UL Lafayette?

  • To be considered for admission to UL Lafayette from another college or university, complete the online application for admission and submit the application fee – $25 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents and $30 for international students. You must also submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended.

What if I don't meet the requirements?

  • If you do not qualify for admission at this time, but are still interested in enrolling, you may have your application reviewed by the Admission Office for eligibility to participate in the Admission by Committee process. You must apply for regular admission prior to submitting your Admission by Committee application. Upon review of the application file, the admissions office will send you a letter stating your options for possible admission.

How do I know if my courses will transfer?

  • All courses and grades from an accredited college or university will transfer and be used in your total hours attempted, earned and the cumulative GPA. These totals will be used for financial aid status, scholarship requirements and academic status. However, all credits will not necessarily satisfy the requirements for your specific major. Transferable credits for degree requirements will be determined by the dean's office of your major at the beginning of your first semester at the University.
    For an unofficial evaluation of what credits will count in your degree program at UL Lafayette, you can email, fax or mail a student copy of your transcript to:

Lana Rodriguez, Transfer Coordinator Lee Hall, Room 115
PO Box 43580
Lafayette, LA 70504-1650

Will all my hours transfer?

The courses in the catalog of transfer credit reflect those that have been evaluated by academic Colleges or Departments at UL for transfer equivalency.  The catalog should be used as a resource for students planning to transfer to the University.  If you do not find your institution and/or course listed, it is possible that a course has not been previously evaluated and entered into the catalog.  The course evaluation process is ongoing and is not an exclusive list of all colleges or transferable courses.  Please note that the UL evaluation of credit does not imply that other institutions will reciprocate the evaluation.

Catalog of Transfer Credit

Transfer Credit Examples:

Direct Equivalent - If a course is considered as a direct equivalent to a UL course, the course will be given the corresponding UL course number.
        ENGL 1010 Rhetoric and Composition = ENGL101 English Composition I
Evaluated course but no direct equivalent - If a course has no UL direct equivalent but is transferable to the University as an elective by title.
        ENGL 2035 American Major Writers = ENGL 2XX Major American Writers


Can I attend another school for a year or two and be guaranteed that all my credits will transfer?

  • There are no guarantees. Contact the Transfer Coordinator on the Transfer Student Welcome page. The Course Equivalencies page might also be helpful. Contact Lana Rodriguez at or 337-482-2059 or Enrollment Services at 337-482-6553.

Will my D transfer to UL Lafayette?

  • D's do transfer (exception: English I & II, which require a grade of C or higher), but the course may need to be retaken. Certain departments may also require grades of a C or higher in specific core courses.

Can I make a fresh start at UL Lafayette?

  • Academic amnesty can be considered if a student has not been enrolled in any college or university for at least three years before the effective semester of enrollment. You must request this option prior to your enrollment at UL Lafayette by submitting a request to the Undergraduate Admissions Committee. UL Lafayette does not automatically recognize academic amnesty granted to a student by another institution. A request to recognize academic amnesty granted by another institution should be made to the academic dean or the Undergraduate Admissions Committee.

Does UL Lafayette accept CLEP, AP, or credit by exam?

  • Subject to general limitations, UL Lafayette does accept credit earned through College Level Examination Program (CLEP) subject examinations, and College Board Advanced Placement (AP).  The University Catalog provides guidelines for credit exams.

Will my military credit transfer?

  • UL Lafayette follows the recommendations of the American Council on Education's Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services and will grant credit for certain military schools, subject to the approval of the Director of Admissions and the student’s academic dean.

Will my transfer hours count toward my GPA at UL Lafayette?

  • Yes. At UL Lafayette, all courses that you complete will transfer to the University and will be calculated into your cumulative grade point average.

Can I apply for financial aid?

  • Yes. Transfer students are eligible to apply for financial assistance. You should apply for financial aid well in advance of the priority deadline, May 1st. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available each January for the upcoming academic year and should be completed as early as possible. The fastest and best way to apply is online. For guidance on how to apply for financial aid or transfer your application data, go to the Student Financial Aid and Scholarships web site, call Financial Aid at 337-482-6506, or email several months prior to transferring.

Can I apply for scholarships?

  • UL Lafayette does offer scholarships to students transferring to the University. 

Transfer Scholarship Information

Are transfer students eligible to participate in the Honors program?

  • Yes. Transfer students with a 3.2 cumulative GPA at the sophomore and above academic level or 3.0 GPA for freshmen are eligible for Honors. Interested students should contact the Director to schedule an appointment. Call 337-482-6700, email, or visit the University Honors Program online. The office is located in Judice Rickels Hall, Room 205.

Can transfer students live on campus?

  • Yes. Legacy Park Apartments and the 8 traditional residence halls are available to all students. If you plan to live on campus, apply early since there is usually more demand for housing than space available. For details, call 337-482-6471 or email or visit the Housing Department.

What about parking?

  • Student parking is available free of charge at Cajun Field, vehicle registration is required each semester.  The Office of Transportation Services uses license plate recognition, no decals or hangtags are issued to students.   When parking at Cajun Field or visiting Bourgeois Hall, the transit system is responsible for transporting students to and from campus. Buses run continuously from 7 am to 9 pm Monday through Thursday and from 7 am to 7 pm on Fridays. The number of buses running at any given time is proportional to the demand. The Transit system does not run when the University is not in session. Generally, the only students that park on campus are the students that live on campus.  Limited on campus parking is available for commuter students.  For additional information, call 337-482-6858, email or visit the Office of Transportation Services.

What student organizations does UL Lafayette have?

  • UL Lafayette has over 170 student organizations that are active on campus. Organizations include club sports, multicultural, political, religious/spiritual, service, social and special interest groups, sororities, and fraternities. Contact the Dean of Students for additional information.

What activities are offered at UL Lafayette’s recreation center?

  • One of the most popular places on campus is Bourgeois Hall, home to the University Rec Sports. Intramural Sports offers over 20 different sporting activities for the students. Club sports allow interested individuals to organize their own teams and compete against other universities and clubs. Open recreation allows students to participate in sporting activities at their own leisure on a drop-in basis. Bourgeois Hall features indoor basketball courts, weight and cardio areas, indoor track, aerobics rooms, and the Student Aquatic Center. For UL Lafayette students, it's like having an automatic health club membership. For details, visit the Department of Rec Sports.

Can someone show me around the campus?

  • The best way to decide if a school is for you is to visit the campus and we want you to schedule your visit to UL Lafayette today! Campus tours are offered on a daily basis at 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and at 9:00 a.m. only on Friday. Your visit to campus will begin with a walking tour of campus led by a current UL Lafayette student. In addition to the tour of campus, you will have the option to tour the residence halls and meet with a faculty member in the area you wish to major. To schedule your visit online, click here. You can also call 337-482-6495 or (800) 752-6553 or email for additional information.

What is the cost of tuition at UL Lafayette?

  • The cost estimate for tuition and fees for each semester is available at the Office of the Bursar.

Do I need to attend an orientation?

  • You are not new to college, but you are new to UL Lafayette. Therefore, special orientations for transfer students are held before fall, spring, and summer terms. Orientations include a comprehensive welcome to the university and its resources, as well as opportunities to interact with other transfers and current students. You will attend a session with your academic college or school, meet with academic advisors, and register for classes. By the end of the day you should be ready for classes to begin. Attendance at orientation is mandatory for all new transfer students. For more information, the Office of Orientation or call 337-482-1391 or email

How many hours must I take at UL Lafayette to graduate?

  • To graduate with a bachelor's degree, 25 percent of the required credit hours and the last 30 hours must be taken in residence at UL Lafayette. A minimum 2.0 GPA is required by the university to graduate. Some academic departments may require a higher minimum GPA. Ask your academic Dean for more information.

What if I have other questions?

  • Lana Rodriguez, Transfer Coordinator, is available to assist you in the transfer process.

Lee Hall, Room 115
PO Box 43580
Lafayette, LA 70504-1650