Peer Advising Application
2020 – 2021
What is a Peer Advisor?
A Peer Advisor serves as an additional unit of academic support for freshman and sophomore students in the Academic Success Center (ASC) at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. Peer advisors help students select classes, provide information on academic policies and procedures according to the University’s catalog, assist with registration questions and waitlist procedures, and make appropriate referrals to campus resources. They also provide information and guidance based on their experiences as students at UL Lafayette. Peer advisors hold drop-in and appointment hours and may participate in various on campus events representing the ASC.
Peer Advisor Expectations:
• Hold 10-12 office hours a week.
• Pay: $8.00/hour
• Attend mandatory trainings when scheduled.
• Be eager and willing to assist students with various questions or needs.
• Must display professionalism.
• Must show a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
• Must be open to learning and challenging yourself to grow.
• Must be a current 2nd-year or higher UL student in good standing (not on any type of academic or disciplinary probation).
*Note: Must have attended at least 2 semesters at UL by the time the position begins in fall 2020.
• Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 at time of application.
• If hired, must maintain a 2.75 cumulative GPA while on staff.
• Must be enrolled full-time (12 credit hours) at UL for the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters.
• Strong knowledge of own academic area and ability to learn and understand academic requirements.
• Ability to encourage academic success and to motivate self and others.
• Understanding and support of the goals and philosophies of the ASC.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to establish rapport with peers and students.
• Ability to serve as a role model demonstrating good judgment and ethical behavior.
• Ability to set a positive tone for interaction, demonstrating responsibility and respect for others’ rights, feelings, lifestyles, diverse backgrounds, and for personal and University property.
• Ability to work in a team and to be flexible.
• Ability to multi-task and problem-solve while providing exceptional customer service.
• Passion for helping students.
The 2020-2021 application process for Peer Advisor is closed. Applications for 2021-2020 will open in spring 2021.