On March 19, 2012, the Louisiana Student Financial Assistance Commission amended Sections 301 of the Scholarship and Grant Program Rules to change the definition of academic year (college) to include summer sessions.
Beginning with the 2011-2012 academic year and thereafter, the academic year begins with the fall term of the award year and concludes immediately before the next fall term commences.
All intersessions and summer sessions are included.
This change applies only to TOPS Opportunity, Performance, and Honors award recipients.
Reminder: The TOPS Opportunity, Performance, and Honors awards will not pay for college summer school except when:
- the summer session is required in your degree program for graduation and you enrolled for at least the minimum number of hours required for the degree program.
- you can complete your program's graduation requirements in the summer session.
- the course(s) taken during the summer session is required for graduation in the program in which you are enrolled and is only offered during the summer session.
- the summer session is conducted for a nonacademic program in which you are enrolled.
- you have earned at least 60 hours of college credit.
Students who do not meet the above criteria may always attend a summer session at their own expense.
NOTE: An award made for summer school expends one semester or term of TOPS eligibility. For more information, please visit the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance.
Remaining Eligible for TOPS
- Students must have continuous full-time enrollment.
- Students must be registered for 12 or more hours as of the 15th day of the semester to receive TOPS for that semester (fall & spring).
- A student must earn 24 hours between the fall, winter intersession, spring, summer intersession, and summer semesters with a “D” or better in order to keep TOPS.
- Dual enrollment in high school and advanced placement do not count towards the required 24 hours.
- Students must have a 2.0 cumulative GPA at the end of the fall semester to receive TOPS in the spring. This applies to all three awards.
Students must meet cumulative GPA requirements at the end of the spring semester:
- 2.3 Cumulative GPA (1st academic year)
- 2.5 Cumulative GPA (all subsequent academic years)
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA
- Opportunity Award
The cumulative GPA is reported, which is all courses and all grades (including repeats).
Students whose awards are suspended for failure to maintain the required GPA or steady academic progress may be reinstated upon attainment of the required GPA, provided that the period of ineligibility did not persist for more than two years (one year for Tech Award) and the student had maintained continuous, full-time enrollment.
It is recommended that students fill out a FAFSA renewal each academic year. The renewal forms are available beginning January 1st of each year. Priority deadline is May 1st of each year. Please visit the FAFSA website to complete a rewnewal form.
Visit the Office of Scholarships for more information about receiving TOPS at UL Lafayette. For more information about TOPS, visit the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance website or call 800-259-5626, ext. 1012.