CRLA Tutor Certification & Training
The Learning Center and all tutors are internationally certified by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA).
CRLA Tutor Certification Requirements
- Provide one (1) recommendation letter from a professor (about your subject knowledge, professionalism, etc).
Complete a total of twelve (12) hours of training:
- Eight (8) in-person trainings (includes the first TLC employee semester orientation worth 2 credit hours and 6 monthly TLC meetings/trainings, 1 credit hour each) for a total of eight (8) credit hours.
- Two (2) mandatory online trainings/workshops AND must choose any two from the additional online trainings/workshops, for a total of 4 credit hours. The topics must be different from those scheduled to be presented at the monthly TLC meetings/trainings.
- At least twenty-five (25) tutoring hours.
Veteran TLC Tutors (Current Level-1 CRLA Certification) Requirements
- Attend three (3) training sessions each semester.
- Work twenty (20) hours of tutoring each year
- Complete two (2) mandatory online trainings (FERPA, Sexual Harassment Policy).
Mandatory Tutor Trainings
All TLC tutors are required to complete the following trainings/workshops annually:
FERPA for Colleges and Universities
- The training is accessed through The Learning Center Staff Moodle page.
Preventing Sexual Harassment
- All employees must follow university policy regarding sexual harassment training. Training can be accessed through The Learning Center Staff Moodle page or UL Lafayette Human Resources.
Web-Based Tutor Trainings
Newly hired TLC tutors are to choose any two of the trainings/workshops listed on the TLC SharePoint site. The topics must be different from those scheduled to be presented at thepre-semester in-person training. If you cannot access the online trainings, please contact a member of TLC's professional staff..
Unless otherwise noted, all workshops are worth 1 credit hour.